This document outlines the theory that will bring about the change of mainstreaming adoption of non-fluorinated-refrigerant cooling technologies through a technical assistance (TA) facility. The...
India could leapfrog current air conditioner technology for new technologies that are far more energy-efficient and that use HFC alternative refrigerants with low-global warming potential. However, several market factors are preventing the widespread adoption of new refrigerants and technologies:
- A lack of technical awareness of off-the-shelf technologies and systems with a verifiable track record of performance
- The absence of a cooperatively-organized and thriving sustainable-cooling services industry
- Efforts to challenge the relevance of alternative technologies
- Low incentive to change technologies and practices in residential buildings
- The perception that cost savings and energy savings cannot be achieved by alternative technologies
Awareness raising and technical support are key to tackling these issues and accelerating transformation in the cooling industry.