EPA Ghana developed this comprehensive Air Quality Management Plan (AQMP) for the GAMA and Greater Accra Region as the next step in addressing these problems. This plan complements the National...
A key element of the Urban Health Initiative is to link environmental data on air pollution to health data about premature mortality and hospitalization costs. This is a key challenge facing governments around the world. Through this activity, Accra has been a pilot for the Urban Health Initiative (UHI) model process. This is an iterative process for integrating health into policymaking, with clean air and healthy citizens as its outcome. The process focuses on six levels of urban transformation to integrate health into policymaking as follows:
- Mapping the current situation, stakeholders, policies and decision-making processes
- Adapting and applying health and economic tools in the local context
- Developing and testing policy scenarios
- Building capacity to effectively engage policy-makers
- Communication and outreach to sustain and mobilize support
- Monitoring results and refining policy