Phase I – National SLCP Planning – Started
A cooperation agreement was signed between the Coalition and the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MEF) of Kenya, operationalizing the project to reduce SLCPs through the SNAP Initiative. The project aims to increase awareness and capacity to address SLCPs at the national level by sensitizing key stakeholders to the impact of SLCPs, their link to climate change and integrated mitigation opportunities.
This support will lead to the development of a National Action Plan on SLCPs that will outline major emission sources, key mitigation actions, and a mechanism for monitoring progress. Once the plan is developed, SLCP mitigation actions will be included in relevant national planning processes to contribute toward the rapid and large-scale implementation at the national level.
The following activities are being pursued:
- Set up and coordinate the project implementation, including the development of an internal unit consisting of the National CCAC Focal Point from MEF, an expert consultant, and a technical team.
- Raise awareness among national stakeholders on SLCPs and build capacity of national experts on short-lived climate pollutants.
- Develop an Action Plan on SLCPs for Kenya, including setting up a planning process, assessing current sectoral emission contexts, and developing an integrated analysis of greenhouse gases, SLCPs, and air pollutant emission reduction potentials using the LEAP-IBC tool.
- Include SLCP actions in other national processes to increase the sustainability of the project, such as the climate planning and greenhouse gas inventory process.
- Produce a roadmap for the development of a National Air Quality Management Strategy and Action Plan which can be used by MEF and its partners to mobilize funding and support needed to elaborate the document.