Health Actions for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement
15.00-18.00, Friday, 11 November
Blue Zone - Arctic room
This event aims at providing COP participants with an update on the Health Action Agenda approved at the Second Global Conference on Health and Climate, which was held in Paris from 7-8 July 2016 and moreover, it will provide an overview of how the public health community at country, regional and global levels is currently supporting actions to implement the Paris Agreement, for a healthier and more sustainable society, and plans to scale up ambition and action.
Helena Molin-Valdes, Head of the CCAC Secretariat, and Tiy Chung, CCAC Communications Officer, will speak about the Breathe Life campaign during this event.
Full event agenda and speakers
Why the Paris Agreement is good for public health (30min)
Moderator: Dr Maria Neira — Director, Department of Public Health, Environmental and Social Determinants of Health (PHE), WHO, Geneva
Introduction/Welcoming remarks by the champions and WHO (15 min)
- HE Ms Hakima El Haite , High-Level Climate Champion, Morocco
- Minister of Health, Morocco (TBC)
- Dr Jaouad Mahjour, Director of Programme Management, WHO EMRO
Presentation of the Health Action Agenda (10 min)
- Dr Diarmid Campbell-Lendrum, Team — Leader of Climate Change and Health, WHO
Climate Change and Environmental Health Action Agenda: Examples of concrete ACTIONS by the Public Health Community (2,10h)
Moderators: Jeni Miller, Executive Director Global Climate and Health Alliance and Dr Yves Philippe Henri SOUTEYRAND, WHO Representative, Morocco Office.
TOPIC 1: Health adaptation to climate change: Increasing the resilience of health systems, and the environmental and social determinants of health, to climate risks.
- Scaling up coverage of H-NAPs –(Health component of national adaptation plans) and roll out of coverage of surveillance systems for climate-sensitive health impacts: Climate information for health; HEAT Early Warning Systems; water-borne diseases- by Joy Shumake-Guillemot, WHO/WMO Climate and Health Office, World Meteorological Organization
- Emergency Early Warning Systems for Public Health and Climate (Dr Rachid Wahabi, Ministry of Health, Morocco)
- Health Observatory for the impacts of Climate Change on the Mediterranean region. (Pr Abderrahmane Maaroufi, Ministry of Health, Morocco and Pr Antoni Plasencia, Instituto de Salud Global, Barcelona, Spain
- Climate Change problem is solvable; in so doing we can improve human health and welfare immensely. The Cookstoves Project Surya, by Prof Ramanathan, Veerabhadran, CCAC Science Advisory Panel
TOPIC 2: Gaining the health “co-benefits” of climate mitigation measures, particularly through reducing nearly 6.5 million annual deaths from air pollution.
- Urban Health Initiative by Dr Carlos Dora - Coordinator, Interventions for Healthy Environment (IHE), Department of Public Health, Environmental and Social Determinants of Health (PHE), WHO, Geneva
- Health and medical professionals in action: Tackling climate through reducing air pollution and healthier energy choices, by Ms Vijoleta Gordeljevic, Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL)
- Assessing the air quality and health benefits of Nationally Determined Contributions to the UNFCCC (CCAC speakers TBD with Ms Helena Molina, UNEP)
- Apulia Region decarbonisation proposal (Speaker TBC)
TOPIC 3: Ensuring support for health and climate action -Scale up financial investments in climate change and health /develop a new approach to link health, economics and climate change.
- “Experiences in multi-sectoral climate change and health work for international development: opportunities and finance”, by M James Close, Director, Climate Change Group World Bank
TOPIC 4: Engaging the health community and civil society in communicating and preventing climate risks, and in taking advantage of opportunities for health.
- WHO/CCAC Breathe Life Campaign – Actions and Communication on Air Pollution, Climate and Health, by Tiy Chung, UNEP and Elaine Fletcher, WHO
- Youth Actions: training and awareness raising on health and climate change at University level, Amine Lotfi, International Federation of Medical Student Association, IFMSA
- Global Green and Healthy Hospitals / 2020 Health Care Climate Challenge, by Mr. Nick Thorp Health Care Without Harm
- “Physicians Divesting from Fossil Fuels” by Yassen Tcholakov - World Medical Association, McGill University
TOPIC 5: Measuring the progress that countries are making in protecting health from climate change, and reporting through the WHO/UNFCCC climate and health country profiles and Sustainable Development Goal indicators
- WHO/ UNFCCC Climate and Health Country Profiles support monitoring experience, ( WHO or UNFCCC speaker to be decided)
- Lancet Countdown to 2030: Global Health and Climate Change, by Dr Nick Watts
- Executive Director, The Lancet Countdown: Tracking Progress on Health and Climate Change
Health, Environment and Climate Change: proposal for a Global Coalition (10 min)
Presentation of the WHO/UNEP/Government of Morocco Initiative for the establishment of a voluntary coalition for concrete and substantial actions to progress in protecting and enhancing health by promoting action that reduce environmental risks. Speakers: MOE and MOH Morocco and/or WHO and UNEP HL representatives