Phase I – Institutional Strengthening and Black Carbon Inventory Support – Planned
In 2020, a cooperation agreement was signed between the Coalition and MADES, defining institutional strengthening activities to scale up national action on air pollution. This work will improve national coordination among relevant institutions and increase knowledge on SLCP sources, emission levels and opportunities for mitigation. An integrated emission inventory of SLCPs, including black carbon and other air pollutions, will be developed with the technical support of the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) and the LEAP-IBC tool. The integrated emission inventory will be used to develop priority mitigation measures.
This project will also analyse how existing and future plans, strategies, regulations and policies in Paraguay may affect SLCP emissions moving forward. This work will include the integration of SLCPs within existing and upcoming climate change planning processes, including Paraguay’s revised Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), through the identification of mitigation measures to reduce HFCs and methane. Through the cooperation agreement, the following activities have been defined and will be pursued:
- Activity 1: Set-up and coordinate the project implementation
- Activity 2: Involve stakeholders and support coordination and scaling up of activities on SLCPs in Paraguay
- Activity 3: Develop an integrated analysis of SLCPs (including black carbon and tropospheric ozone), greenhouse gases, and air pollutants
- Activity 4: Develop a roadmap for enhanced action on SLCPs in Paraguay
- Activity 5: Integrate SLCP mitigation measures into climate change planning processes, including the revision to Paraguay’s NDC