- Opening Date: 6 September 2022
- Closing Date: 19 October 2022
- Estimated project cost: USD 75,000
This project responds to the request by the Eswatini’s Ministry of Tourism and Environmental Affairs to encourage adoption of electric cooking technology.
Eswatini has electricity access connectivity above 80%, but the majority of the population is still using wood fuel for cooking meals - and electricity for refrigeration, TV, lighting, and cell phone charging. Eswatini is now faced with diminishing wood fuel as there is a high rate of deforestation. The Ministry of Tourism and Environmental Affairs together with stakeholders is planting millions of trees to curb this problem, but without awareness of the dangers of household air pollution, health impacts and deforestation will continue to rise.
- Target audience reports adoption of electric cooking technology in final project survey
- The government of Eswatini has increased capacity to raise awareness among the population of the multiple benefits of clean household fuels and technologies to increase uptake of electric cooking among households
- The public awareness-raising materials are shared with interested countries in the region with the aim of increasing the percentage of cooking with electricity in countries with similarly high levels of access and countries interested in increasing access to electricity.
The project should deliver at a minimum:
- Develop baseline data for Eswatini to determine the impact of the awareness raising, and deliver final project survey to determine uptake of electric cooking technology among the target population
- Provide report with an overview of lessons learned from countries facing similar challenges where electric cookstoves have been rolled out with success to support Eswatini.
- Deliver public awareness-raising materials, such as brochures, posters for public institutions, radio, and newspaper advertisements, and engage students and the health sector to advocate for clean cooking – with the goal of increasing whole-of-government support for enhanced ambition and urgent action in the sector.
To be eligible for consideration, project proposals must meet the following requirements:
- Are complete and submitted before the deadline
- Are submitted by a non-governmental organization (NGO), intergovernmental organization (IGO), or other not-for-profit entity
- Requested funding falls within the indicated cost range and the project duration is less than 24 months
- Budget criteria are met and spending caps on expenses are respected
Eligible applicants are invited to apply before the deadline by downloading the Application Form.
It is recommended that applicants review the Guidance for Applicants prior to completing the Application Form.
The completed Application Form should be submitted to email@example.com before 19 October 2022.
Proposals will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Quality: the clarity of the proposed outputs and activities and the extent to which they will deliver the expected outcomes
- Experience: evidence of the project team’s understanding of the national planning process and short-lived climate pollutants, and their ability to deliver the proposed project
- Value for money: the level of funding requested for project delivery
- Alignment: how well the proposal demonstrates its contribution to the CCAC 2030 Strategy and National Planning, Policy, and Implementation Engagement Strategy
- A preliminary review of proposals submitted by the deadline will be conducted by members of the CCAC Secretariat, Funding Task Team and Board, in consultation with relevant CCAC Partners.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to present their proposals in further detail and to respond to follow-up questions about their application.
- Successful applicants will be invited to develop a Project Implementation Plan and Detailed Budget in consultation with the CCAC Secretariat and relevant CCAC Partners.
- Projects are expected to be launched in 2023.
More information regarding Eswatini's involvement as a CCAC Partner is available on their Partner Page.